Do you wake up with a sore jaw, headache, and damaged teeth? Night guards are for people who clench or grind their teeth while sleeping. It can be painful to wake up after a night of grinding, and the results may even last all day long. While most people think their pain comes from stress, it usually comes from when you are sleeping.
Bruxism, or teeth grinding, is common among adults. Most people do not realize that they grind their teeth at night. There can be many different causes, including stress, sleep apnea, snoring, an abnormal bite, and crooked teeth. Some of the time, it is not the person who realizes they grind their teeth, but their partner.
Our teeth were not designed for the constant pressure of grinding and can result in severe damages. The routine grinding can result in enamel loss, broken teeth, gum recession, TMD, and migraines. But, night guards can fix these issues.
Night guards can help relieve pressure between the teeth to help stop teeth grinding. They are also known as mouth guards, dental guards, or splints. When put between your teeth, the mouth guard will act as a barrier to provide protection and cushion for your jaw. You can purchase a night guard from your dentist and have them fitted in different ways.
Types of Night Guards
- Soft Night Guard – This night guard is the most commonly used. People with mild cases of bruxism enjoy this guard because it is small and convenient. This is a comfortable fit and easiest to get used to.
- Dual Laminate Night Guard – This night guard is for people with moderate bruxism. It is soft on the inside and hard on the outside. This night guard is good for heavy clenching and typically last longer.
- Hard Night Guard – This night guard is for people with severe bruxism. It is made of acrylic and is the most durable of all the night guards. It helps to prevent teeth from shifting and lasts the longest.
Depending on the severity of your bruxism will depend on which night guard you will need. Our dentist will personally fit a night guard to your liking to make it as comfortable as possible. If you wake up with a headache and jaw pain, you might be a candidate for any of these mouth guards.
Visit any of our local dentists to get an appointment for your night guard. You will get a better night’s sleep and wake up feeling more refreshed than ever!
- Boiling Springs – 864-592-1647
- Greenville – 864-761-0123
- Riverside – 864-877-2541
- Simpsonville – 864-228-9112
- Woodruff – 864-476-3212